Friday, September 5, 2008

Bread and Puppet Dreams I



Every now and again in this life we come across people and events we wish we had known about when we were younger. Such is the case with The Bread and Puppet Theater. What a delight! I have followed their work, read their books, collected their publications--which are wonderful things.

Peter Schumann was a German immigrant who founded the Bread and Puppet Theater in the early 1960's in New York City.


Schumann was trained as a sculptor which gave him the skills to create amazing street theater during the wild days of the sixties.



Sometimes in the early 1970's Schumann moved his company to Glover, Vermont, where he gathers crowds of volunteers to stage pageants during the summers.

I confess to never have actually seen a bread and puppet theater performance. Sigh.



Even so I have not been idle. I have built my own puppets in homage to Peter Schumann as part of a celebration of St. George and The Dragon since my church was St. George's Episcopal here in Memphis. Compared to The Bread and Puppet creations mine are primitive and poor echoes of what could be.

No comments: